Tuesday, August 17

Aug. 17 Tues.
“What in hell kinda question is that?!� –me

1st day of quarterly tests today...
My seat was outside the classroom, right next to the metal railing.

English and Chem. Chem was alright, I just kinda blacked out halfway through the 2nd page of pure multiple choices. Multiple choice overload, hehe.

But when English came...oh man. I found myself staring at the essay questions and instructions, then banging my head on the railing next to me. I think I banged my head too hard...coz there was this low “Donngggg!� sound, and my seatmates including Ms. Lacsamana turned to me, puzzled. I just rubbed my head and laughed apologetically. But when they turned away...

I looked back down on the questions.

ESSAY:
1. (3 points) As a student, what would you consider as “Grendels� in your life, and what possible ways can you “vanquish� them? (not more than 4 sentences, take a main idea, and develop it.)
2. (3 points) What would you consider as present-day “Grendels� in our society and country that have been SOLVED ALREADY?

My eye twitched ever so slightly.

WHAT IN HELL KIND OF QUESTION IS THAT?!

I looked up, searching the sea of the stooped heads of my fellow 3rd years for a kindred spirit – someone who was also at least the slightest bit confused as I was with this...essay thing.

Up ahead across the other classroom, I saw Pia look up from her paper, and stare blankly at the space infront of her with that same twisted puzzled expression. Our eyes met for a moment, and we both laughed.

Ms Lacs: *looks at me* *comes closer* “Bakit ka tawa nang tawa, Celine?�
Me: *stifles laughter* “Erm...w-wala po miss...�
Ms Lacs: “Iniisip mo si Grendel, ano?� *laughs*
Classmates: *laughs*
Me: *stifles laughter even more*

Yeah, well, I got through. But after scribbling the last punctuation mark on the essay, I leaned against the metal railing, wrapped my arms around it, and stayed that way.

At the end of the day, the only thing I learned:

Cold metal railings are perfect for resting your torso against, especially if your brains are squished dry, and your core body temperature is 38 degrees and rising.

Icequeen out.