Saturday, July 24

Jul. 24 Sat.
“its such a shame that u cant
be with me tonight...
im spinnin round in cycles,
hope u change your mind...
b4 the show is over,
i look around -
its u i thought id find...� –Two Trick Pony, Sandwich

...

I put down the shotglass on the countertop with a faint “chink!�, as the warm liquid seared its way down my throat. I closed my eyes, as I felt my insides slowly burn with the virgin tequila I just straight-upped.

I could hear girls giggling beside me - probably taken by my looks, demeanor, or the fact that I brushed aside the salt and lemons, and was silently downing shots of hardcore booze. I ignored them. Damn whores...

One of them came up to me, coyly tucking her bleached curls behind her ear, which was sagging at the weight of her huge jingly earrings.

“So...� she said, as she noisily chewed on a pink wad of gum. “Hot studs like you come here often..?� She started to twirl strands of her fake blonde hair.

I rolled my eyes. How pathetic.

I sighed with impatience, as she started to blab on about how I looked just like that guy she saw playing the bass guitar on MTV. But before I could give some lame excuse to have to scurry as far away from her as possible, a loud “chink!� came from the seat behind me.

“Oh brother...how puh-thetic...�

I slowly turned. I heard the other girls gasp at the initial sight. And quite honestly, I would’ve gasped with them.

A girl had slammed her shotglass on the countertop, and was slightly bending over as she was slowly trying to get up from her seat. Her long, somewhat tangled black hair was cascading down her bowed head and hunched shoulders. She looked like an excerpt from some horror flick. She straightened up, her hand leaning on the bar for support, and continued in the same soft, low tone, which was slightly slurred with her being drunk.

“Why don’t you get him to feel you up now, if you’re that friggin desperate...�

Obviously offended, the other girls scoffed away. But...I hardly cared. I was staring at her, as she laughed softly under her breath. I didn’t know why, but...I couldn’t take my eyes off her. There was just something so...oddly fascinating about her...so familiar...

I watched as she ran a silver-ring studded hand through her shiny dark locks. My eyes widened a bit, and my head slightly tilted to one side. She wasn’t drop-dead gorgeous, but...

A few strands of ebony hair caressed the sides of her oval face, softly blending with her creamy mocha skin. Her pale-rose lips were slightly pressed against each other, still glistening with a few drops of the Peach Vodka she just drank. Her dark lashes and half-closed eyelids failed to hide the piercing hollow gaze of her cold, dark brown orbs.

But...there was something about her that was...sad. Something about the way a faint sigh would escape her lips, and the way they would ever so slightly curl into a soft ghost of a smile. Something about the way her hair would cascade down, strand by strand, elegantly veiling her face. Something about the way her cold gaze would soften with her faintly glistening tears... 

Beautiful.

There was no other word for it.

...

*I want...to move on...*

Quite suddenly, her head swiveled to the direction of the dancefloor.

*Not realizing I was moving too slow...*

Recognizing the song, a grin spread on her face. She threw her head back and laughed. “Haha, I LOVE THIS SONG!� She exclaimed. And with that, she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, straightened up best she could, and strutted – half staggered – her way into the crowd of writhing bodies.

*Tried to...hang on...*

I craned my neck a bit, to get a better view of her through the mass of people, nodding her head to the beat.

*But there was nothing left for me to hold...*

She had her eyes closed, as she raised her hands; her slender body swaying to the melody of the song. I could see her lips mouthing the lyrics.

*It’s such a shame that you can’t
Be with me tonight...*

She slowly ran one hand down the top of her head and traced the curve of her neck.

*I’m spinnin’ round in cycles,
Hope you change your mind...*

She thrashed her head to one side, her hair softly whipping against the humid air.

I could only watch in silent awe, as she let the song and her emotions take over her body. As she sensually danced her heart away, ignoring both the perverted and disgusted looks people threw at her. As the strobe lights sparkled through her twirling fingers and tangled hair, caressing her silhouette and casting soft shadows against the dance floor. As she threw her head back and laughed for all she was worth.

As she spun around again and again and again...

*Before the show is over...*

Without thinking, I got up and started to walk towards her. I pushed my way through the crowd until I was right beside her. I didn’t know why, but there was something wrong... Somehow I could hear her calling out, calling out to me...

*I look around...*

I stood beside her crazily spinning and laughing form, getting the crazy urge to grab her by the shoulders and pull her close. Consumed by her spinning, laughing, drunkenness, and emotions, she inevitably tripped and suddenly froze in her place in front of me. She slowly raised her pale, tear-stained face to mine.

“You...� she muttered through quivering lips. “I...know...you...� she whispered, her eyes brimming with tears once more. At that moment, it seemed as if everything was still. The music had faded, the people were immobile in their place, the lights had stopped flashing... It was only the two of us, lost in each other’s gaze.

I smiled. “I finally found you.�

...

*It’s you I thought I’d find...*

With a soft gasp escaping her gently smiling lips, she swooned into my waiting arms.

...