Sunday, July 11

Jul. 11 Sun.
"Excuse me, miss...Free Mentos." -some guy *sweatdrop*
 
*inhale*
 
UAAP TODAY!!!
 
Ateneo versus LaSalle!!!
 
Oh, yeah, baby!
 
*ahem.*
 
An overview of how the day went: I was in GIRL mode. AS. IN.
 
...
 
Kuya came over last night, and was with us the whole day today. I couldn't deny it...I missed him. When the three of us sat together during mass, kuya and I were teasing each other, and making fun of the choir and the priest. *smiles* Just like old times.
 
But when the mass was over, kuya had me change into a suitable outfit for the UAAP game that afternoon. He made me wear this sporty look...
 
Footwear: red and white rubber shoes
Bottom: blue denim jeans
Top: light blue *twitch* ...spag strap...
Hairstyle: *double twitch* a high ponytail
Accessories: silver (earrings, bracelet, and of course...cross necklace)
 
He took one look at me, and was so...proud. He even made me pose and took a picture of me on his cel. Heck, even dad didn't have any objections. *grin* This was bound to be a good day.
 
We stopped over at lola's place (to remind her not to get too worked up as she watched the basketball game on TV - baka ma-high blood pa daw siya), then proceeded to Araneta Colleseum. The moment we stepped off the car, we were greeted by shouts and cheers from kuya's college friends. We hung around a bit with them, and learned that...it really is a small world after all.
 
Kuya&friends: *chatting animatedly about college and their past professors*
Kuya's friend: "Oo, pare...naalala ko nga yung isang prof ko dati sa pol sci, eh...ang talino, sobra!" *laughs* "Pare, astigin talaga si Sir Rialp, ano?"
Kuya's other friend: *laughs* "Ay, oo, naalala ko pa siya, cool kaya yun si Rialp!"
Them: *laughs*
Me: *laughs along with them* "Hahaha...ha...wait..." *eyes widen* "Did you say RIALP? ...MIG RIALP?!"
Them: *turns to me* "You know him?!"
 
*twitch* Know him? Damn...he's Beija's older brother! Sa ilang beses na napadpad kami sa bahay ni Beija, siguro naman nakilala na namin kahit konti yung mga kamag-anak niya, diba? I mean...yeah, her brothers didn't talk much...but at least we caught on their names, general attitude, and how they look like... I knew the Rialps were unorthodox, yet dowright cool...but here was living proof. I stood there, listening to how they described him as some sort of a wierd, brooding, young genius...and I was laughing. From the description, dad and kuya weren't too happy to know that I was somehow connected to him...but heck...I didn't care. I just flipped my hair, and grinned triumphantly.
 
...
 
Once in our seats (upper A), we were bombarded by a dozen or so of dad's old college buddies. This happened everytime we went to a game...coz if some of you still don't know...
 
Dad used to be a basketball player for Ateneo. And his team won the championship game of '75. He used to be one of the best players during his time...not to mention one of the smartest. He played using not just his limbs, but mostly his brain. He was known both for using his build to guard the MVPs of the opposing teams, and using his quick tactics to outsmart the enemy players. He was able to steal the ball from a 6'3 guy coz he was able to determine the exact moment the guy would make the shot, and was able to jump and grab the ball. He was able to steal the ball single-handedly from an unexpected fast-break by three players of the opposing team. Dad was alone at that half of the court...but was still able to outsmart the MVP, knowing that he was left-handed.
 
My dad is cool.
 
And here were a bunch of people proclaiming his skills and talents to the world...and to their children. Kuya and I were proud.
 
...
 
We watched the preceeding game: UST versus NU. Since kuya was studying at UST, he was cheering for the Tigers. It was a good thing UST was at the Ateneo side...so kuya wasn't so embarassed to cheer for his alma mater.
 
Kuya: *shouts* "BLACK GOLD! BLACK WHITE! ...hindi ko na alam ang susunod..."
Me: *laughs*
 
UST GROWLING TIGERS WON!
 
But 2 minutes before the end of the game, the ADMU drums were already pounding. The Ateneo fans all grinned...then cheered. Dad, kuya, and I, on the other hand, were gritting our teeth and plugging our ears. The Blue Babble Battalion was RIGHT BEHIND US! The ground beneath my sneakers was pounding in unison with the beat of the dozen giant drums. But as the LaSalle crowd started beating their own...we didn't mind screaming our lungs out.
 
The first half of the game was horrible for Ateneo. The archers' offense was so much better, and Yeo was shooting 3-pointers every 2 minutes. The LaSalle crowd was jeering at us, and the Ateneo fans were hurling insults.
 
I learned something then.
 
The family that insults and makes fun of the opposing team together...stays together.
 
Our bonding time? Shouting at the referee's bad calls.
 
Kuya: "O, ANO YON?! DAPAT FOUL YUN, AH!!!" *flashes the finger*
Dad: "ANONG P----- INA!"
Me: *blink* *inhale* "Referee, MAGKANONG BAYAD SAYO?"
Them: *looks at me* *grin*
 
LaSalle crowd: "Go! LaSalle! GO GO LASALLE!!"
Kuya, Dad, me: "Bo! LaSAlle! BOBO LASALLE!!!"
 
...
 
I had to hand it to the Ateneo fans, though...they sure had fighting spirit. Honestly, even if I was supporting another university, I'd still have a great deal of respect for the Ateneo family... Their cheers were solid, support was unwavering, and even if they lost, they'd still support the team through and through. But most importantly, they had respect for the opposing team...*sweatdrop* well...more than the others. They don't make fun of the teams that lose. They're not sore losers.
 
"WIN OR LOSE, ITS THE SCHOOL WE CHOOSE!"
 
Heck, I even recorded some of the Ateneo cheers on my cel. The dominant voice was from the guy on my right...he knew all the cheers, and wasn't the least bit ashamed of shouting them out. But judging from the hand gestures he made for the "GET THAT BALL!" cheer, and the MANNER of which he did it...I had the wierdest feeling he was...gay...*twitch*
 
There was this girl's voice that always SCREECHED support for Ateneo. When I turned, I saw that she was so damn petit! As in! I gaped, then laughed...
 
Dad: "Ang lakas-lakas ng boses, ang liit lang pala na tao!"
 
...
 
Half time...oh, yeah. Cheerleading time. *manyak ba?*
 
The LaSalle squad was great, sharp moves, clean and orderly execution. And...creative. They formed an arrow slicing through a letter A. And in the end, they all lined up, faced the Ateneo crowd, and made a gesture...of retracting a bow and shooting arrows at us. Heh.
 
"Lumang tugtugin na yan!"
 
We expected the Ateneo squad to do much better...but they turned out so much WORSE. As in. One of the cheerleaders that they flung into the air...didn't get caught properly! They ended up chasing after her, and toppling over. There were a few more bloopers that the LaSalle crowd made fun of, but hey...we still loved our squad.
 
There were guy cheerleaders in the Ateneo crowd, and they were the ones that gave the commands to the Blue Babble Batallion on what to cheer. They were also the ones that really egged on the fans to stand and shout for all they were worth. They stood at specific places amidst the fans, and looked awesome with their big gestures, loud voices, and half-blue painted faces. One of them fell over, though...*twitch* And one of them - a guy with really short spiky hair and glasses...somehow kept staring at the person between my dad and my bro...
 
...
 
The second half was much better than the first. We were behind by 14 whopping points...but the players were able to catch up in such little time. A couple of three-points, good free-throws, steals, and fast breaks, the score was lookin good for us. But around 2 minutes before time, LaSalle was able to catch up. 1 point lang lamang namin... It didn't look too good. If LaSalle made this shot at the last second, they'd win...and we wouldn't have a chance to make our shot. We were on our feet in anticipation.
 
*grin*
 
But of course, ATENEO BLUE EAGLES WON!!! OH YEAH!!!
 
71 - 75, BABY!
 
I was jumping up and down, hands in the air, my ponytail swishing behind me. I could feel my throat burning with my screams, and my ears pounding with the drums and cheers of the crowd. But I didn't care... I was high. *grin*
 
Of course, we sang the School song afterwards, and cheered for the LaSalle team. Gotta hand it to them...their play was awesome. After the LaSalle school song, we all trudged towards the exits, full of laughter, adrenalin, and of course - pizza.
 
Still clinging on to my dad's hand, I took one last look behind me...once again caught the eye of a certain spiky-haired guy with glasses...and... *twitch* *grin* you do NOT wanna know what I did...
 
I TOLD you I was in girl mode...
 
...
 
Anyway, once outside the coleseum exits, we were once more greeted by the dozen or so friends of my dad. A little socializing never really hurt, as my brother always said. At that moment, I kinda agreed. But as I turned, my gaze fell on a certain guy... *twitch twitch*
 
He was a few feet from where I was standing, chatting with his friends. He was a little taller than me, and was wearing a polo shirt and loose black pants. He was slightly hunched over, his hair neat and shiny. I didn't know why, but I was staring at him. He looked no older than 17.
 
Girl mode meter: *rising*
 
But unexpectedly, he slowly turned to my direction. He had a good-natured face, with that...ghost of a smile. He caught my eye and just stared back at me. I froze.
 
Girl mode meter: *still rising*
Hope meter: *slowly rising...*
 
He then excused himself from his friends, and slowly started to walk towards me. I looked over my shoulder, thinking that he may be looking at some other person beside me. But no...he was looking at ME. Walking directly towards ME. When he was a foot in front of me, he spoke.
 
"Excuse me, miss..."
 
My eyes widened. Faint incoherent sounds were gurgling in my thoat. My mind was reeling: "What in heck is he gonna do?! Is he gonna...introduce himself, or something..?!"
 
"Y-yes..?" I stuttered. I craned my neck a bit, waiting for his answer.
 
Girl mode meter: *off the charts*
Hope meter: *TILTING*
 
He looked in my eyes, and raised his hands a bit to his chest. But I didn't notice or pay attention...I was looking at his mouth...at what he was about to say... And he said...
 
He said...
 
...
 
"...Free Mentos."
 
Girl mode meter: ...ay.
Hope meter: ...sus. umasa ka pa.
 
I blinked. I looked down at his hands, and they were holding a handful of mentos candies. New flavor. Ice Cherry. Still quite stunned, I slowly raised my hands under his, and let him place the candies on my open palms.
 
I twitched ever so slightly.
 
I looked back up at him, and saw him smile. I forced a grin, and asked: "Wala kayong grape flavor?" He grinned back at me, and laughed. I laughed with him, gave him a cheery "Thanks!" and walked away with my dad.
 
But deep inside...I was punching myself for being so girly and giving in to Hope again...
 
Like so many other sudden and stunning iformation that I recieve, it took some time before it registered in my head. When it did, we were at a Japanese restaurant, eating tonkatsu and tekkamaki. I choked on my chopsticks and laughed my head off.
 
"Kung kelan nagpaka-babae ako, dun pa ako nabasted! Putragis naman, Fate!"
 
...
 
Ay... *flips hair* Ang hirap talagang maging babae!